Fillings and Restorations in Orangeburg, NY
At Premier Dental, we’ll work hard to keep your teeth in fantastic shape and prevent decay. Unfortunately, cavities can still sometimes happen. When they do, you want them found quickly and filled comfortably – and invisibly.
We are proud to offer tooth-colored composite resin fillings to our patients. This remarkable advancement in filling technology allows us to fill cavities and repair smaller areas of damage to your teeth with a resin filling that can be mixed to perfectly match the natural shade of your teeth. This means that no matter how wide you smile, nobody will ever know that you have had a cavity.
Advantages of Composite Resin Fillings
In addition to the huge improvement in the aesthetics of composite resin fillings, these fillings have even more benefits:
- Since composite fillings are made of resin and not metal, they don’t expand and contract in the way that metal fillings can. Over time, metal fillings may become loose and fall out, or decay can develop behind the filling.
- Composite resin fillings require the removal of less tooth structure for proper placement when compared with traditional metal fillings. We are committed to always providing the most conservative treatment possible, and composite fillings help us to meet that goal.
- Metal fillings are made of an amalgam – a mix of different metals. One of the metals in that mixture is mercury. While numerous studies have shown that no adverse effects have ever been linked to dental fillings, many patients would still prefer to not have mercury in their mouths.
- Composite resin fillings can be shaped and molded to repair a number of dental flaws including chips, small cracks, and even areas of discoloration.
Inlays and Onlays
If the area of decay we are treating is more extensive but not to the point that a crown is required, we have another option that allows us to treat the issue conservatively. Inlays and onlays are small restorations that are created in a lab to repair areas of decay and damage.
Inlays are restorations that are used exclusively on the center part of the tooth while onlays are used when the cusps of the teeth are involved. At Premier Dental, we like inlays and onlays for a number of reasons:
- Inlays and onlays have an excellent fit and require far less tooth prep (and removal of healthy tooth structure) than crowns.
- We have an in-house lab right here in Premier Dental! That means we don’t have to send our restorations to an outside service, which means that your restorations are available faster, and the dentist can consult directly with the technician who creates your restoration to make sure that it is perfectly customized to the shape and color of your teeth.
- Inlays and onlays can give you a more precise fit than practically any other type of restoration.
- Inlays and onlays are strong and durable and have the potential to last a lifetime.
Call our office today to schedule an examination with one of our highly skilled dentists. We’ll check your teeth for any signs of decay. If you do need treatment, we’ll work with you to make sure you get the appropriate treatment for your needs.