When Are Tooth Extractions Necessary?
Though our teeth are made to last a lifetime, sometimes through trauma, poor oral hygiene, and genetics, we can lose our teeth early. It may seem like tooth extractions are the worst thing that can happen to your oral health, but in many cases, it can actually be more beneficial than leaving the tooth alone. The dentists at Premier Dental in Orangeburg, NY are experienced with extractions and make every effort to help you get your oral health back on track.
Why You May Need an Extraction
- Wisdom teeth – One of the most common reasons people need to have a tooth pulled is because their wisdom teeth are growing in. Not all wisdom teeth need to be removed, but for most people, there is not enough room in the mouth for four extra teeth. This means when the wisdom teeth begin to grow in, other teeth will shift and start to crowd to allow more room. When the wisdom teeth are impacted, or don’t break the surface of the gums, it may mean you will need a surgical extraction.
- Severe decay – Most decay concerns can be repaired with a root canal so you won’t have to remove the tooth, yet, if the infection has spread too far, the tooth may need to be pulled to prevent further infection into the bone.
- Periodontal disease – Severe gum disease will begin to cause the gum line to recede and the bone underneath to break down. Once the tooth becomes loose, it may more beneficial to pull the tooth since this level of gum disease is not reversible. Once the tooth is out of the way, your dentist will be able to come up with better solutions to stopping the progression of gum disease.
Benefits of Extractions
- Stops disease – By removing decaying and infected teeth, it can stop the progression of the infection before it causes further damage to the bone and surrounding teeth.
- Lessens pain – Extractions are conceived to be painful which is why many people try to avoid their dentist until they are in extreme pain. Yet, many people also experience significantly less pain after the extraction than they did before.
- Reverses the damage - Once the infected tooth is removed, you and your dentist can start the discussion about replacing the tooth with an implant or bridge. Dental implants are better for your oral health than decaying teeth.
Extractions in Orangeburg NY
Don’t keep putting off seeing your dentist because you fear an extraction. You will often be a lot happier after it is over than if you wait for your oral health to continue to decline. If you would like more information about extractions and what to expect, please contact us to learn more.