What is periodontal disease and when should I see a professional?
Periodontal disease or a gum infection is a serious gum problem that destroys soft tissue and the bones that support teeth.
Left untreated periodontal disease can cause tooth loss and may increase your risks for heart attack and stroke.
The best time to see a professional is when you notice the first signs of periodontal disease, which may include some or all of the following:
- Bleeding gums when brushing or flossing
- Pain in gums or teeth
- Swollen gums
- Red or inflamed gums
- Difficult or painful chewing
- Bad taste in the mouth or bad breath
Because of the potentially serious consequences of untreated periodontal disease, aggressive therapies may be warranted. However, in some cases, less invasive treatments work well, too.
Treatments or procedures used in periodontal disease include:
- Antibiotics or other medications
- A prescribed oral hygiene regimen to do at home
- Deep cleaning that may require planing and scaling—in other words, removal of deep plaque, tartar, and bacteria
- Flap surgery that requires removal of plaque, tartar, and bacteria from beneath the gum line
- Bone grafting
Periodontal disease is usually preventable with good oral hygiene practices and regular dental visits. However, if you are diagnosed with periodontal disease, our caring Premiere Dental staff will support you through the treatment process
If you would like to schedule a periodontal disease assessment, contact our Orangeburg, NY dental office today.
Our patient expresses her feeling on the implant process! Listen in on what she says about her experience!!! Read More